[Dailydrool] Do Citronella collars work to aid nuisance barking?

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 08:45:28 PDT 2008

Hi Paula,
I actually did not have very good luck with the citronella collars with my two droolers and Ruby Doo.  They learned that if they barked enough that they would empty the collar or if they could get it off, they would chew it up.  (I bought 3 of them as they usually barked at night at some critter coming into the yard.  They have a dog door and 24/7 access to outside) For these three it just was not enough of a deterrent and my neighbor was losing sleep and had a couple of talks with me, though she was nice about it.  Unfortunately I had to go to the shock type...but it worked.  Now just the threat of "I am going to get the collar usually quiets them or in the event that I have to put it on (usually Tucker) the one with the dead battery does the trick.  I know not everyone will agree with the practice, but I did not have a choice as I didn't want to be reported and deal with the consequences.
I have a little girl (4 months)now and we are working on the word quiet. She also is not so little....29 lbs at 4 months old...all muscle, a a slim waist, but long and 11 inches at the shoulder.  I just think she is going to be a big girl, since her sister is only 22 lbs and a few inches shorter.
Good luck with your boy, hopefully it you try the C. collar it will work.
Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang
Ruby Doo, Tucker, Abby, Sadie, Cuddles, Teeka and Gregor