[Dailydrool] Citronella Collar

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 10:12:04 PDT 2008

Hi Paula,

Although going into the purchase I'd only heard how Citronella collars don't
work, I'm so glad I bought one anyway. The first time the collar sprayed
Humphrey, he 'got it' and hasn't tried to bark with it on since. In fact,
now if he starts barking, all I do is show him the collar and he quiets
right up. We got the collar because Humphrey (who is only 9 months old)
developed some very serious separation anxiety and would bark like mad
whenever we left him at home alone. Since we live in an apt in Manhattan,
this was a big issue with our neighbors, who reported us to the City. Since
a second report would bring about a $50-250 fine and even possibly a court
subpoena, we took our chances with the Citronella collar. The key to making
it work was being with Humphrey the first few times we put it on him. He'd
bark, get sprayed, and we'd praise him like crazy for quieting down
afterwards ("good quiet!"). He's figured out that he can whine very quietly
with the collar on, but knows not to cry loudly or bark at all or he will
get sprayed. The key to keeping the collar working is to make sure it is
full every time he wears it - when full, it holds about 25 sprays of
Citronella. Humphrey hates the Citronella enough that he's never barked
enough to empty the reservoir. So it works for us, and I can only recommend
it for you. Best of luck.

-Rebecca & Humphrey