[Dailydrool] doggy depression? (long post, sorry)

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 10:22:27 PDT 2008

So I'm coming to the experts to see if I'm overanalyzing or if I have reason
to be concerned.

As most of you know Cowboy was our 1st basset. He'll be 2 in August. He was
an only dog until James' brother moved in with his cocker spaniel Duke (age
4). They got along good but didnt play as much as Cowboy would have liked.
Duke moved out last month and we adopted a stray basset, Rupert. Estimated
to be around 2, very rambunctious, very playful, total attention hog but
also a major lover.

Lately I've felt like Cowboy is a little depressed. It could be a lot of
things. We moved in January. Duke and his dad moved in. I got a new job/new
schedule. Duke and his dad moved out. Rupert moved in. LOTS OF CHANGE in
only 6 months.

Rupert and Cowboy play a lot buts its kind of rough alligator mouth play,
chomping on each others ears and jowls, pummelling one another to the
ground, chasing, etc. Rupert initiates it a lot but even when we try to
seperate them to give Cowboy space he (Cow) comes running back and gets
Rupert so it makes me think Cowboy likes the play even if we think its
getting rough. 90% of the time though Cowboy ends up getting pinned and
squeals causing us to call Rupert off.

Cowboy also seems to be sleeping a lot more than usual and not really as
playful with me as he used to be. The problem I think is associated with
Rupert. When Ru is sleeping sometimes, Cow will try to play with us but of
course Ru jumps from his sound slumber and wants to play too. He ends up
pushing Cowboy out of the way and totally dominating playtime.

Would it be bad to crate Ru sometimes to give Cowboy special playtime? I
feel bad doing this because Rupert really isn't being bad he's just a hog.
Is it mean to take Cowboy out on a walk or adventure and not take Ru? I
dont' want to favor one over the other but I feel like Cowboy is getting
shafted on his attention because Ru hogs us. Then again I could be
overanalyzing and Cow is just calming down...but I dont think so because
he's not even two yet.

Thoughts? Advice? Please. Thanks.
Kacy