[Dailydrool] Renting to people with pets

Anne Savidge AnneSavidge at dcccd.edu
Thu Jul 3 05:29:51 PDT 2008

Terry Sue, a very long time ago on the Drool, someone (I do not remember who) said that when she and her hubby had rental properties, they would rent to someone with pets only if they had two "pet references." That is, the potential renters had to provide the names of two previous landlords or apartment complexes who could vouch for them as being decent pet owners. She said this worked very well for them.

I don't remember exactly what their policy was if someone moved into their rental properties without a pet and then wanted to get one. I think the renters had to live there for a specified period of time (like 6 months or a year or something) and always pay their bills and keep the place in good condition---kind of like a probation, I guess---before they would allow a change to the contract and allow pets.

Auntie Anne