[Dailydrool] Cowboy's depression

Jessica Sutton Jessica at fmprofessionals.com
Thu Jul 3 09:41:34 PDT 2008

Your post reminded me of one I submitted not too long after we brought
our second basset, Sophie home to our only-hound and spoiled rotten
princess, Diva.  She reacted the same way and it made me feel SO BAD
that she was so mopey and sad and blue!  I thought I was doing something
wonderful, giving her a playmate and she acted like I had just asked her
to pack her bags and hit the road!!  Lol  The best advice I was given by
a fellow drooler was to make sure that your first pup, in your case
Cowboy, knows by your actions that he's still #1 houndie, i.e. he gets
treats first before giving one to the new pup, he gets dibs on momma's
lap if he so chooses, etc.   Most importantly, to spend some time with
each of them individually whenever you can, not only for Cowboy and your
relationship with him, but for the new pup as well, so that he will be
able to bond with you in his own way.  Trust me, the guilt thing killed
me, and we all know that there is no better creature on earth at the
sad, droopy, "woe is me" face than a basset hound, but in the end, they
get over it and it all works out.  What worked for us was for me to be
aware of Diva's need to adjust to the new arrangement and to sharing her
mommy, and to reassure her that she is still my baby and will still
receive the same love she always has.  I also made sure to spend some
one on one time with Sophie when I could so she would be afforded the
opportunity to bond with me the way Diva had.  I felt like it was unfair
to deny her this because she happened to become part of the family after
Diva.  And, lastly, I allowed the two of them to work it out on their
own without my presence or intervention disturbing the natural
establishment of their pack.  In other words, I just left them alone!
Now, they are both very clear about who is Alpha and who will step aside
if asked.  I found that interfering in their play or minor squabbles
over a toy or whatever kept them from learning to work it out on their
own.  It's been about 8 months since we brought Sophie home, and the
good news is that Diva finally did "get over it" and now the two of them
are absolute best friends.  Bringing another basset into the house was
the best thing I could have done for Diva and for our family.  We are
all much, much happier with our little pack.

Sorry it was long winded...snooters and drool to all who need it.  Happy
4th of July everyone!!!

Jessica L. Sutton