[Dailydrool] Shock collars

Dan Hickey dhickey at m-audio.com
Thu Jul 3 09:54:11 PDT 2008

Sara,

While I appreciate your POV, I'm not sure the Drool is the place for a
Purely Positive versus correction based training methodology discussion.
For a group which by and large has a soft approach to discipline and
pack leadership, suggesting that PP can get them the control they
want/need is in my mind a disservice. Arranging the training scenario to
totally prevent the unwanted behavior so that the desired behavior can
be rewarded requires much more care and attention (and knowledge and
experience).

Any tool can be misused. Leaving a live bark collar on an unsupervised
dog is misuse, and a recipe for disaster. I agree the first corrections
should be the most impressive. Continuous use of any training tool
indicates that the training has been unsuccessful and some other method
is indicated.

I used a prong collar exactly twice. "Yes, I am serious. You must do
what I want you to." That was 8 months ago. Haven't put on the collar
since. In Open there is more work at a distance. I am considering an
electronic training collar. It allows corrections (and rewards) to be
well timed (like a clicker). I don't foresee much actual use of it
either, but it might reduce the training time and improve life for both
of us.

If a pet owner is in danger of losing their dog because uncontrolled
barking while unsupervised, bothers the neighbors and brings in animal
control, what do you suggest? Could the average Drooler do that
successfully?

Dan Hickey