[Dailydrool] The Breed Dilemma

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 07:16:58 PDT 2008

Oh my. I laughed sadly at the story about the Beagle/Basset puppy. BYB and
pet stores in particular (and not all, so don't get your undies in a bunch)
will tell prospective and naive owners THE MOST AMAZING things about what
kind of dog they are buying, and what it will be like. We used to have a
Golden retriever come in. No question this is what the dog was. Anybody who
has seen more than 3 Goldens would recognize this dog. Nope-- it is an Irish
Setter. Groom it like an Irish setter. Whoa---okeydokey.

Sometimes it is simply ignorance of breeds. I love it when people tell me
that the seller told them the new puppy is an Ibizan Hound/ Basenji mix, as
if there were a lot of those running around breeding anyway. We had a dog in
from the shelter which had dubbed it a Bouvier. It was obviously not--
likely a poodle/schnauzer mix. People want specific things. They want their
mixed breeds to be something special, and they want a Beagle, not a Basset
so the unscrupulous breeder tells them "Sure, it's a Beagle" and hopes Mama
Basset doesn't amble into sight during the conversation.

My neighbors bought an Akita at a pet store. They came home believing it
would top out at about 40 pounds. They were told the thick coat was puppy
coat and it would not shed.
They no longer have the dog. I don't know what happened to him, but he grew
up and they hated him.He was hairy, he was dirty from being tied in the
yard-- too big to be in the house-- and he was miserable. I hope they found
another home for him but I have never asked.He was a sweet dog.

Happy Fourth and a Safe Fourth to all

MomPerson