[Dailydrool] Potty training an older basset and losing weight.

Heather Collins titaniummom at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 09:02:28 PDT 2008

I can't find my cord to download all my pictures but hubby promised to
find it and I'll do it tonight and have everything up for everyone to
see the girls from Corinth, MS.

So I have fostered many times before but we had been fortunate that
the only issue they needed was love or meds for things like hot spots
and such.  We have never had potty training issue's.  Well, our girl
from Corinth that was named Eevee (and is now Ruby) might need to be
potty trained.  We are not sure if she has ever been trained.  We were
also told that she's over 5 but we just don't see it.  We are thinking
maybe 2 or 3 years old, at the MOST.  Either way, I have NO idea how
to train her other than praises/treats when she goes potty outside.  I
mean, I know how to train a puppy, do I just use the same method with
the older basset?  She has peed in the petstore at both outings we
have taken but I figured it was because she was a little nervous.
Wasn't positive about the training.  She hadn't made a mistake in the
house yet because we constantly have had the girls outside.  This
morning she pee'd in the house.  It had been about 3 hours since she
had gone outside.  She was let out at 5:30am to go potty, then again
at 7am but this is by NO indication from her, just us doing our slave
thing.  We haven't had any accidents at night, she sleeps on her huge
doggy bed from around 10pm till about 5:30am every night.   This
happened at 10am.  What are your idea's on the older basset and potty
training so I can make sure to do them whether she has an issue or
not, just to be safe.

The other basset was named Maggie and now she is Cookie.  She is VERY
overweight!  LOTS AND LOTS of cookie handles.  haha.  Anyways, we feed
Canadae but I have never used it to lose weight!  What should I be
doing to help her other than walks, smaller portions of food, limiting
treats etc.  Is there a food that is BETTER than Canidae for losing
weight??

Thanks in advance for the advice!

~Heather
``