[Dailydrool] Help, perhaps!

Bambi McLeskey balange at olemiss.edu
Sat Jul 5 11:08:10 PDT 2008

Well, As I'm sure most of you have seen, the two little girls pulled from
Corinth MS are happy with their new mommy and their new mommy is happy with
them. Now when these little girls were pulled, it was pointed out that there
was a little two year old heartworm positive male basset there as well. I
have been working on looking for a home for the little boy, and my husband
was helping me, from Camp Shelby. An adopter was found, my husband handled
that end over the telephone. Nice yard, inside puppy, gonna be the baby, all
this. I go pull the little fella Friday morning, and he is a real sweetie
pie. Call the lovely soon to be new mommy, and find out a whole other story.
No fenced in yard, not going to be an inside dog, she hopes that he will
just stay in the yard after this weekend, since they borrowed a crate for
him until he got used to the place. Blah Blah Blah, what is heartworms, what
is heartguard, will they eat anything.. Me getting madder and madder.
Needless to say she does not have this little boy, and my husband is safer
where he is with gas prices too high to arrange a beating. But the fact
still remains that I have a gorgeous little boy at my house, and I cannot
keep him there very long. He is a little timid with other dogs, and I have
three. I also know my capacity for appropriate care at the moment and three
is my limit. I am in MS, and I really need to find him a home or figure out
how to get him in the direction of AL. Is there anyone who can help me? This
little boy is adorable, total Velcro dog, loves people. He is heartworm
positive, and he has a small cyst/infection on his face. He is microchipped
by the shelter but there was miscommunication and he was not neutered when I
got there to get him, and my vet cannot see him until the 17th, and I will
be out of town. If I had pulled him for me, this message would not be here,
but I didn't and I have learned the importance of a pre drop off home visit.
Talking to someone is one thing, but that is not everything. I couldnt let
this little boy go somewhere he would not have been loved and safe. He is
not housebroken, but he is learning quickly. Great on a leash, loves walks,
loves belly rubs, and has a most beautiful Arrroooo! Doesn't use it much
though, only if you stop skritching his belly. Working on crate training,
seems to be doing ok. Paces when in the house, doesn't seem like he knows
much about the inside of a home. Please email me off list if anyone can
help. It is not fair to him or my other dogs to keep him here. I can drive
two hours any direction to keep him safe.

A very sorry Bambi, for not being able to do anymore for him

balange at olemiss.edu