[Dailydrool] Potty Training

saraberry at aol.com saraberry at aol.com
Sat Jul 5 17:57:24 PDT 2008

I always tell people, you tell me, would YOU rather go outside or inside?? The reasons you have for wanting to eliminate in the bathroom are very similar to a dog's reasons.? It is comfortable, quiet, private, and you always clean it up.

So if you want to get your dog to eliminate outside, even in a certain spot, there are?a few?things you need to do.

1. Reward the dog for going in that spot and keep the area clean of old feces.

2. Make it easier to go outside than inside.

The first thing that means is that you will need to go outside with the dog for awhile.

Dogs generally like to eliminate after waking from naps, after a trip in a car, after eat and after drinking.? These are the times your dog will generally need to go out.? The rest of the time, until you get this reliable, they should spend time in a crate or a baby gated area where mistakes will be minimized and easier to clean.? You should be heading out at least once every two hours if you don't see the other signs like waking, after eating, etc.

When you go out with your pooch, you always have a bag or pocket of high value treats.? Pieces of chicken strips, hotdog bites, leftover steak, I am talking, "OH BOY!? I LOVE THOSE" kind of treats.? Then when your dog goes, you watch until they are near the end of the elimination and then say, "WHAT A GOOD DOG!!!" and then deliver treat, treat, treat.?

If they don't go when you go out, then go back into the home and crate for 30 minutes.? Then try it again.

Be forewarned that some dogs learn the sequence.? Go out, I eliminate, human takes me back in.? So they hold it longer because they want to walk more.? If you find you are struggling with this, give the dog 15 minutes and if nothing then take them back in for 30 minutes and try again, and then after they do eliminate outside, keep walking them for another 5 minutes before you come back in.

Do this every day for two weeks, should do the trick.? Sometimes quicker than 2 weeks.

Sara*