[Dailydrool] Need training treat ideas

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 07:56:35 PDT 2008

Our Elsinore was weighed at the vet's last Monday and she's gained
two pounds since her annual in March. She still has a nice waist at
49 pounds, but I'd like her back down to 47 or even 45 pounds.
However, she's a serious dancer now and I think that's causing the
weight gain. I know all those people on "Dancing with the Stars"
report losing lots of weight while preparing for competition, but the
"Dancing with the Stars" people aren't getting rewarded with treats
while they're mastering the dance steps, either.

I've been giving Elsinore slivers of hot dogs that have been nuked in
the microwave until they're crispy, but I'd like to find another
training treat for her, one that isn't as salty and high in fat as
hot dogs. But just as important, a treat that isn't too expensive.
That's the nice thing about hot dogs--they're cheap. String cheese
isn't. An added complication is that Elsinore doesn't like fruits and
vegetables, so that takes care of carrots, apple slices, and other
standard healthy, low-fat treats for dogs.

Last night I also discovered that Ken's been dipping into the hot dog
bowl I keep in the refrigerator. I told him that if he was going to
be eating the training treats, then he needed to earn them just like
our Elsinore does. So he executed a few of the ballroom dancing steps
he learned in our class last week and then, for good measure, did a
few of the dance steps Elsinore's been learning, too. She does them
better than he, but I rewarded him with a few of her hot dog treats
anyway and a belly rub to top it all off. But I guess now I need to
find dance training treats that'll be somewhat healthy and not too
expensive for both hound and husband. Anyone have any suggestions?

Elizabeth