[Dailydrool] Gaylon & Cathi and the waterway gang

wesley & londa weslon at windstream.net
Mon Jul 7 05:06:52 PDT 2008

Hi Drool family. Wesley and I were out on the road when we heard from Cathi that Gaylon was in the hospital.
This time things were different. We were so far from Cathi and unable to visit as we are always in Fort Worth on Tuesdays because of our truck route.. but this time we were broke down in California.
  On that early Monday morning Cathi called us to tell us that Gaylon had lost his long battle, but not with his back surgery injuries, with Cancer...
  I was driving the big truck, we were in New Mexico or someplace i dont remember now, nor does that matter, but suddenly i was sitting in Dallas /Ft Worth area in our truck backed to a dock.. a small bundle of basset/beagle energy was in my lap and a stranger i had met on the Daily Drool was walking up to our truck.
  Cathi Cox. She entered our world of trucking bringing friendship and laughter and love, and in a couple of weeks after she had a honest to Goodness cowboy with her..Gaylon...
  The friendship was like magic. Wesley and Gaylon became instant friends, Cathi and I were already there, because of the love of basset hounds and their ways. Trey-c told me there was no one better or sweeter then her miss Caffie. and no one was above her Mr. Gaylon..
   When Cathi was involved in a car accident we worried and called often to follow her recovery.. we waited until she was able to ride in a car again then held her so tight when we finally got to see her again,,,
  BEcause of a little basset hound named Trey-c these two people became our best friends..
  On every tuesday we could manage, Cathi and Gaylon would drive to our dock at the airport and pick us up and we would go and have supper together..
  They ALWAYS had time to stay extra at the dock to visit with Trey-c who waited in the big truck for us to return from our meal. Trey-c would just have fits over Cathi, loving her and covering her with snooter kisses, and shedding hair but Cathi never minded...Trey-c would do the basset 500 for Cathi as well playing with her and barking running in circles and jumping on Cathi playing the basset tag game...
   But with Gaylon, Trey-c was always gentle,,, it was like she seem to know he was special and not able to play as hard as we could.. she would gently place her paws on his lap and offer him kisses and hugs, always gentle and in mind of her claws on her feet..careful not to claw him.. our hounds know far more then we think they do..
 in the years that followed as Gaylon fought his battle with the aftermates of a back surgery gone wrong, Treyc would be even more gentle, Gaylon would stay in the car, it was just to painfull for him to climb in and out,
 Trey-jc would stand at the side of the car and wait to be invited in to see how Gaylon was on that tuesday.
 She would very gently stand on the car and lay her head in his lap and he would rub and pet her and tell her things only She and he could hear.. Her tail never stoped wagging.
  Some nights after Cathi would come to visit us with out Gaylon, he was just to tired or sick at the end of the day to come see us.. we understood.. She would have to open the car door for Trey-c, who was looking for her Gaylon, Trey would climb in to the car and look everywhere for Gaylon,, then sadly climb out and walk sadly back to the truck,  head and tail hanging down,,, she knew somethingwas not right...
  Then we lost Trey-c... she was taken from us stolen out of our fenced yard as Wesley lay in a hospital recovering from knee surgery..
   We looked and posted signs and rewards and even had so many kind offers of help from our family here at the drool.. We still search for her but she has just vanished..
  Cathi and Gaylon shared our loss.. and they helped us get thru..as did our family here on the Drool... we moved on..
  Then Zero came into our lives as a pup and Cathi and Gaylon welcomed her with open arms as well..
   I cant go on.. the key board is wet from my tears, the love and hurt of losing our best friend is just to painful.
   Because of Nancy and a puppy she had, her starting the drool, me finding the drool because of a sassy little basset we had, Then finding Cathi and Gaylon, because of our truck route comming so close to their home...
   a friendship that endures all things,  the worse thing being miles and miles apart when we need to be together... but knowing we are what we are because of the love of basset hounds...and their slaves... we are better people....
   Cathi, when you see this know that Wesley and I write it with our hearts broken but love you more then ever.. we will continue our friendship because that is how we are..
    and TUESDAYS are always open for us..
     when the time is right we will see Cathi again,, we three are going to celebrate Gaylon in grand Texas style.
and i know he is up at the Bridge with all of his beloved animals that were waiting for him there...smiling down on us as we  lift a glass and toast  him...
 Londa and Wesley