[Dailydrool] Nighttime barking problem for new foster

Jeanette Wilson jwilson at humanesocietytampa.org
Mon Jul 7 06:45:52 PDT 2008

Hello All,

I love reading all the Drool emails, but this is my 1st time posting to the
Drool. I have a problem & hope you can help. Our new foster Basset has been
in the house for 3 nights now and seems to have extreme separation anxiety
at night. Our animals are not allowed in the bedroom when we are sleeping,
but they have full access to the living room/kitchen area with plenty of
beds, water, etc.  Mikey is fine when we are in the same room and even when
we leave the house. But when it is bedtime he whines, whimpers, moans, and
barks. He is nonstop & relentless with it. We’ve tried to crate him, but to
no avail. My husband and I have had to take turns sleeping on the couch
and/or eventually let him in the room with us. We tried letting him just
“cry” himself to sleep, but after 1 ½ hours, we could not take it any more.
Needless to say, we are beyond frustration and exhaustion. We’ve had
numerous other fosters & never had this problem. Benadryl was suggested to
us, but he is on other meds right now so I don’t want to mix that in.

He’s a good boy other than that. Apprx 6 yrs old, very sweet, potty trained.
My last resort is to try a bark collar which I really don’t to do. I’m not
even sure it will work with the whining. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Jeanette, momslave to Monte (who is now an angel compared to Mikey)