[Dailydrool] First 4th of July

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 14:02:45 PDT 2008

So we decided to join about 1/3 of my boyfriend's very large family out in
the Hamptons for the 4th this year. Kit's parents have a 300-year-old house
out in Sag Harbor. Last winter, a hot water pipe burst and caused tons of
damage to the old house. 9 months later, I think we've finally finished
rebuilding/cleaning up from the mess. In between figuring out where each
picture went on the walls, we were able to enjoy the holiday weekend.

Humphrey and Bix spent the holiday throwing their toys around the yard,
playing with their cousin Rosie, a Westie, and Kit's toddler nephews.
Humphrey went for his first swim in Trout Pond. I kept wishing he'd roll
over on his back - with his little arms and big paws he'd probably look just
like an otter. He even chased a ball into Kit's sister's salt water pool.

We walked the dogs into town to catch the fireworks. Rosie had to be held
and shook and trembled during the display, but Humphrey just laid down on
the pier and went to sleep, as if he found the whole thing utterly boring.
The next day, Kit's brother-in-law set off some smaller fireworks and
Humphrey watched them go off, then hunted down the cartridge and proudly
carried it back to us.

He exhibited his share of OEBE behavior, too: we left him and Bix in the
house for an hour while we had dinner and they pulled out the kitchen
garbage and 'redecorated' the kitchen with it. Which wouldn't have been so
bad if not for the bell pepper seeds everywhere and very full baby diaper
they somehow managed to dump ON TOP OF the kitchen table. Someone left the
front door open while we were having dinner one night, and instead of
begging for scallops and bronzini with Bix, Humphrey took the opportunity to
explore the neighborhood on his own. Luckily he found a little boy who was
happy to give him belly scratches until we found him.

Then he stole Kit's dad's fried chicken at lunch. He must have known that
was the LAST. PIECE. OF FRIED CHICKEN. FROM THE STORE. There was much crying
and sadness. It was a very terrible day for Kit's dad. He also had to do
yard work, but that's another story.

To top it all off, when we were enjoying the salt water pool yesterday,
Humphrey jumped up onto the picnic table and stole an entire 24 oz.
porterhouse steak. The little sh** then ran circles around the pool while
Kit and I tried to catch him, the $75 steak lolling out of his mouth as he
ran. I don't know what I would have done if I had caught him; probably
chucked him in the pool, steak and all. But we didn't catch him, and
instead, he ate the steak. We did put him on his tie out, out of range of
the table, when he went back for the grilled veggies that had accompanied
the steak.

He DID, however, prove to us that he's finally housebroken by waking us up
at 4 am Saturday night. We took him out and he proceeded to release the
biggest poop I've ever seen. There we were at 4 am, jumping for joy in the
yard in our underwear, actually happy that our dog had woken us up so early
by wanting to go out instead of pooping on the floor. So we had another beer
and went back to bed.

Hope everyone else had a good 4th. May next year's be even happier.

-Rebecca, Kit, Humphrey & Bix