[Dailydrool] Cathi and Gaylon Cox

janet dean jdean813 at tx.rr.com
Mon Jul 7 17:20:23 PDT 2008

Hi Droolers,

What a lovely, heartwarming story that Londa has shared with us about the
relationship she and Wesley have developed with Cathi and Gaylon Cox - and
it all started because of the Drool.  Cathi has said so many kind words to
me about Londa and Wesley, too.  I knew better than to expect an evening
call from Cathi on a Tuesday as I knew these 4 people always met for dinner
on Tuesday evenings when Londa and Wesley were 'driving through'.

I feel compelled to share with you how both of these wonderful people have
been part of my life the past four+ years because of our shared love of
Basset Hounds.  It didn't start on the Drool; it started because of Basset
Hound rescue efforts. I finally got brave enough back in 2004 to decide to
foster a Basset Hound for North Texas Basset Hound Rescue, Inc.  At the
first NTBHR foster clinic I attended, I met this nice lady named Cathi, her
cowboy husband (and I'm talking starched Wranglers, cowboy hat, boots and a
droopy moustache) named Gaylon, and their rabbit-fur soft Basset Hound named
Sam (B. Sad).  I could tell they knew a lot about Basset Hounds just by
listening to their input into the conversation, so I listened and also took
notes.

A few months passed, and our rescue group began to change and grow.  I was
asked if I would be interested in being a foster coordinator, 'cause
everyone was figuring out that I like people and I like to talk about Basset
Hounds to anyone that will listen to me do so!  Our president at the time
became pregnant with her first child, so the responsibilities of the intake
of homeless Basset Hounds needed to be handed over to someone else for
awhile.  Cathi Cox stepped up to the plate and took on this role.  Because
of how we functioned at that time, Cathi and I began talking on the phone on
an almost daily basis..talking about the homeless Basset Hounds that needed
to come in, if we had a foster home for them to go into, etc.  I can't tell
you how much I learned from Cathi during the ensuing months that followed
about Basset Hounds in general, but specifically about rescuing Basset
Hounds.

Even after our roles within the rescue changed, Cathi and I still continued
to talk on the phone often. When Gaylon went into the hospital for his back
surgery on 3/8/05 (yes, I remember the date as it was a date that changed
their lives in a way that sure wasn't supposed to happen), Cathi and I began
to visit on the phone daily.  It's been that way ever since.

I was fortunate enough to get to know Gaylon a bit more since his surgery,
too.  I found out that he was a graduate of LSU; I told him 'that's okay..at
least you graduated from an SEC school!' (I'm an Arkansas Razorback fan).  I
also was treated to some of Gaylon's good cooking..just a few months ago, I
had dinner at Cathi and Gaylon's house and came home with some fabulous
leftovers!  I also went with Gaylon to the hospital one day when he had an
outpatient procedure and Cathi wasn't able to get off work to be with him.
I felt so honored that these two felt comfortable enough with me to be there
for them.  Unfortunately, this procedure was what discovered that Gaylon
would now be battling lung cancer as well.

Between the long battle with MRSA, never being able to walk upright again,
then the recent diagnosis of lung cancer, Gaylon always told you he was
'doing alright' when you asked him how he was doing.  Although Gaylon
physically fought his medical battles, Cathi was always there supporting
him, too.  They both did what they had to do to adjust, adapt and go
forward.

The world of Basset Hounds has brought many wonderful people into my life;
at the top of that list is Cathi and Gaylon Cox.  Cathi and I will continue
to have our daily phone calls where we can talk about our Basset Hounds,
other dogs and cats, our daughters (and my granddaughters!), our loves and
losses, and we will also continue to talk about Gaylon as he will always be
a part of the friendship that I have with Cathi..

Janet Dean

Jackie, Kim, Kelly, Opie (OMBR foster)

Daisy, Rosie and Maggie all ATB 2004, 2005, 2006

Lincoln, my cat

Cougar, my cat ATB 2008