[Dailydrool] Staph infections?

Ann Hefner anniebh at acsol.net
Fri Jul 11 18:19:11 PDT 2008

Our new little girl Lizzie who is 11 years old, has a staph infection.  How do they get these?  She had a lump on her leg when we got her.  I didn't think much about it as all my hounds have those little fatty cists.  The doc took a sample and said it was infected.  He put her on antiobiotics for 2 weeks and the lump was still there.  He then took another sample and sent it off to a lab and the results came back either staph or strep. So he then sent a culture to grow to see which one it was.  The results came in today that it was a very fast growing aggressive staph infection.  We started Baytril this afternoon. 2 X a day for 2 weeks.  This whole process has now taken exactly one month.  If this is such an aggressive staph, how far has it spread?  How do they get these infections?  She had a dental and had 21 teeth pulled before we got her while she was in rescue.  Could she have gotten it at that vet's clinic? All this time she is acting well and very hungry all the time.  I'm scared for her.   Ann