[Dailydrool] feeding issues

Cheryl Stafford cherylstafford at cox.net
Sun Jul 13 05:38:31 PDT 2008

Lisa,
I am no expert and I am sure you will get lots of help but here is my
two cents...
As far as holding one dog back while the other finishes eating, is there
any way you can feed in separate rooms.  We have 2 Bassets ( a quick
eater and a normal eater) and a Malamute ( sometimes only eats once a
day depending on her mood); everyone eats in their own area and remains
there for 30 minutes so their food can settle.  You know, like the old
saying "Don't go in the pool for 30 minutes after you eat."  As far as
not being crazy about the kibble anymore, you might want to consider
switching brands.  I know this is a pain and it takes two weeks to
successfully switch over but it might be that the taste of the food is
no longer agreeable.  I always give Otter yogurt on his morning food,
but we took our Basset boys on their first weekend away and I didn't
take the yogurt with us due to storage issues.  He wouldn't eat his
morning food no matter what I tried (I can't do the take the bowl away
either, and he knows this!) so I crumbled some blueberry dog treats up
on his food and he ate with no problems.  So when we got home and
resumed the yogurt, he would just lick the yogurt and leave the food.
The next morning, I added the dog treat crumbles on top of the yogurt
and he heartily ate his breakfast!  So his morning meal looks a little
like a yogurt parfait with kibble, yogurt and fruit treat crumble on
top.  If my husband saw it he would have a fit, but I am well trained
and my baby gets what he wants to eat.  Sorry this is long winded but I
guess I am saying maybe your dog is looking for something you once added
to the bowl but have since stopped and there will be no eating until it
is returned to the bowl :-) !
Good luck,
Cheryl
Otter, Radar and Kita