[Dailydrool] The influence of Kit Kittredge: American Girl

janet dean jdean813 at tx.rr.com
Sun Jul 13 22:19:08 PDT 2008

I recently took my two granddaughters to see Kit Kittredge:  American Girl.
We all enjoyed the movie, and the girls liked it much more than they thought
they would (since Granny didn't give them any choice in what movie we were
going to see that day!).  I felt really good leaving the show thinking that
folks probably wouldn't rush out and buy or adopt Basset Hounds because the
one in the movie is a senior hound (not a cutesy pup or an active adult
dog), and the focus of the movie truly isn't around the dog (Grace) like in
movies such as Underdog, 101 Dalmatians, etc.  Although I do appreciate the
fact that this breed we all love so much is in the public eye right now, and
just maybe will call some attention to Basset Hound rescue efforts (like it
obviously has for Tri-Cities BHR).  Lo and behold, I just read the following
(which I found through a Google Alert) and my jaw fell to my chest:

http://hutchisonou.blogspot.com/2008/07/influence-of-american-girls.html

This woman goes to Petland (AAUUGGHH!) and buys a Basset Hound pup (her 5th
dog!) for the following reasons:

1.Growing up we had friends who had a basset hound and Melissa said she has
always wanted one.

2. She brought two small little girls in Petland with her and told her to
buy the dog.

3. My other dogs are getting old and one might die soon. (not likely)

4. AMERICAN GIRL DOLL MOVIE. Yes, the AGDM has a basset hound in it named
Gracie...need I say more.

The dog is named Tessa Kittredge (Kit Kittredge is an american girl doll)

I keep thinking that JQP will finally 'get it' about pet stores/puppy
mills...this particular person still has a lot to learn, doesn't she?!

Janet Dean

Jackie, Kim, Kelly and Opie (OMBR foster)

And Lincoln, the c at t!