[Dailydrool] Dog Food revisted

Basset911 at aol.com Basset911 at aol.com
Tue Jul 15 00:26:47 PDT 2008

Alas.
6 years of rehabilitating hounds here at Daphneyland, day in and day  out.
That's a lot of hounds!!
When we started this whole concept 6 years ago (Anniversary date: July 20)  -
I was in a quandary - what to feed to hounds?? My hounds were at that time,
and still continue to be fed a home cooked diet - however in the best
interests  of a rescued hound, it would not do them well to be detoxed from commercial
 grades of food - and fed a healthy diet - only to have an adoptive family
revert  to a lesser grade commercial food.  What should we do?  In those days
Nutro was still a fairly good product, and shelter hounds eat what is referred
to as the $9.00 box O 'wonder - which is basically overfill of various brands
 sold for $9.00 in tubs of 100 pounds.
Hounds arriving from shelters commonly have ear infections, yeast
infections, and hot spots among the problems rescue groups have to clear before  a hound
can be rehabilitated for adoption.

After a load of research, we began by mixing Canidae down with Nutro - less
of a system shock if we decreased the higher quality of Canidae with the
lesser  quality Nutro.   3 years ago we went to straight Canidae and have
maintained that ever since.  Canidae has done a remarkable job with the  hounds -
which average daily 100 here - until last week.

Daphneyland in conjunction with the assistance from Marilyn Bickell, Sandy
Gaston and various other hound friends is currently reviewing all commercial
grades of food for the following factors:

1.    What is the top quality food available today?  (There have been many
manufacturing changes in the last 6 months - your  veterinarians are not canine
nutritionists - they do not actually know the best  foods out there, why they
don't tell you that is beyond me.)
2.    What will we do about the Canidae recipe and  manufacturing plant
changes? - can we continue to feed Canidae?  Can  we find a better quality food
that is affordable to feed to 100 hounds  daily?

Canidae has up until now been AMAZING to us.  Great quality, great
information and good friends - we may end up finding that Canidae is still the  food we
recommend, we may not.  I am however extremely disappointed that  Canidae
made a recipe change AND manufacturing location change without advance  warning
to their customers - and at 4000 pounds (-2- Pallets) a month of  kibble, and
15 - 20 cases of canned monthly, I would think we are a fairly  good customer
to put it mildly.

For anyone feeding Canidae - a word of caution.....
The new recipe absorbs water to 5 times its dry size.  In our breed  this is
a drastic increase in the risk of bloat (gastric torsion).  PLEASE  SOAK THE
KIBBLE WELL BEFORE FEEDING!!  You want that expansion to  occur OUTSIDE THE
STOMACH - not inside.  You will also want to add pumpkin  to their food thru the
change, as I can firmly attest - 100 hounds with runny  stool is one very
yucky week.

Continuing on the quest for food education - the never ending battle
Dawn of the West
Foodslave of Daphneyland
_www.barniatdaphneyland.org_ (http://www.barniatdaphneyland.org/)