[Dailydrool] grieving animals

jules56pt at charter.net jules56pt at charter.net
Tue Jul 15 07:25:42 PDT 2008

When our big, faded, smooshy boy, Sherlock died last September, he went to sleep on the family room floor and never woke up.  Sunny, our grumpy girl, was downstairs with him but didn't let us know anything was wrong.  By the time my husband found him, Sherlock had been gone for several hours but looked like he was just peacefully sleeping in his usual spot.  Sunny was in the same room but stayed away from him.

We left Sherlock where he was until my oldest son could get here to say goodbye.  Sunny stayed away when Sherlock was on the floor but when he was gone she kept coming and sniffing his spot like she was tring to make sense of everything.

Sunny and Sherlock did not get along at all but after he was gone, Sunny missed him.  She was more lethargic than usual and didn't want to eat.  There was no one to bellow at during mealtimes.  Sherlock always deffered to her.  He would not stand up for himself but she missed him anyway.  What fun is it to have everything to yourself if there is no threat to losing it, no matter how small?

We got Ninja at the end of October and Sunny perked up considerably.  She doesn't like Ninja but she likes having another dog to complain about.  Ninja just stays out of her way.

When Marley came to us at the end of December, the fireworks started.  Marley hates Sunny and the feeling seems to be mutual.  We try to keep the bellowing to  a minimum but there is usually one shouting match a day at least.

The funny thing is that when we leave them at home by themselves they go to their own corners so to speak and leave each other alone.  There doesn't appear to be any discord except when we are here.  Maybe it is all just for show.

Even now, Sunny will ocasionally go to the spot where Sherlock died as if she is looking for him.  She remembers.  No one will ever convince me that dogs don't remember what happened yesterday or even twelve years ago.  Sunny does. It seems harder for her to remember all the good times with us than the bad things she must have experienced before she got here.

Snooters and drool to all those in need.
Julie withSunny, Ninja, and Marley