[Dailydrool] Flat Basset

Sandy Gaston sandy at animalnature.com
Tue Jul 15 16:14:34 PDT 2008

Flat Basset: the basset dictionary at Camp Toast says, when a basset goes
flat, all four legs and paws out, will not walk any more, flat like a
pancake no matter how large said basset is in physical weight, physical
weight becomes doubled when in the flat basset pose, will not move for any
thing, cookie, meat treat, NOTHING, just remains flat. Melba Toast (atb) did
this once, I was taking her for a walk she really didn't want to go on but
"I" thought it would be good for her. I was thankful I had my cell in my
pocket. We got one block from home yes only one block and that is when Melba
went flat, kina like a tire. I did every thing, tried to head her back
towards the house "lets go home Melba, cookies Melba, meat Melba" all she
wanted was belly rubs. Yes she went from being flat on her belly to having
all fours in the air and I sat on the sidewalk rubbing her belly asking if
we could go home now? She woofed NO you are the one that wanted to go on
this walk. I called home and asked if the van could pick us up. People were
stopping wanted to know if everything was all right? Melba would just roll
over and want them to rub the belly and they did. Linda got to us and parked
along side the street, put on the flashers and put out two orange cones we
had you know the kind they use for road work. Melba got up when the van door
was opened and jumped into the van and we went home. What I learned, never
take a basset on a walk when they really don't want to go on one and make
sure you have your cell phone and some one willing to come pick you up one
block from your home, oh and have a really good sense of humor because you
will hear about your flat basset for years to come. DoG I miss that girl!