[Dailydrool] flat basset

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 15 19:14:43 PDT 2008

Barbara wrote: <<<my Vet said he knows bassets are stubborn, but has never heard of the term "flat" bassets before...can someone offer more insight into this phenomenon?>>>

Oh dear Barbara- lemme give it to you right from the bassets' mouth - so to woof-
First and foremost- bassets are NOT stubborn- EVER! We do demand things be done the correct way- which would be OUR way. We choose what and when we wish to do...but stubborn- nope!
When I was a wee pup I did flat basset often- the hoomans seemed not to mind too much- I was after all much smaller and easier to carry. And so darn cute.
The years- as well as a few pounds have added on. I am no longer easily slung into the loving arms of my hoomans. They still do it- but it is a bit more of a work-out for them. When you are tired- do you not sit down and rest a spell? Or if the scenery is particularily pretty or scented- do you not stop to enjoy it? We like to as well. Sometimes it is so nice to rest- we do no wish to get up again.
This does not imply stubborn-ness on our part- but rather the intelligance that we have found something enjoyable and wish to extend the experience. Some wise hoomans carry cell phones on their walkies- to call the other hooman to come with the BUV. Others have wagons and in Pw Annie's case- bootious carriages- to move the houndage along.
I wish you the best of luck in learning to understand your basset and am always here to answer any questions in regards to our behaviors!
sincere droolies, Ms.Brandy