[Dailydrool] Dailydrool Digest, Vol 15, Issue 13

Bill1fan at aol.com Bill1fan at aol.com
Wed Jul 16 16:41:17 PDT 2008

In a message dated 7/16/2008 6:36:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dailydrool-request at dailydrool.org writes:

Subject:  [Dailydrool] Canidae dog food

Hi everyone.  For those who don't know me, my name is Renee and  I own a
grooming/doggy daycare business with a small retail area.  My  number one dog food
seller has been Canidae.  Today I attended a trade show  where I was able to
talk one on one with a Canidae representative.  Here is  what he told me.  Yes
Canidae has changed their formula.  Because the  price of rice was becoming
astronomical they have now divided the portion of  rice they normally used by
adding barley and I think oats.  No wheat or  corn.  This is something they had
planned on doing anyway.  The rising  price on rice just pushed it along a
little sooner.  He said that there are  different benefits to all the grains and
it is healthier for our  dogs.  He also said that the change actually lowered
the carb amount by 1%  and increased the protein by 1%. He said some dogs
have been having some  adjustment problems and Canidae recommends combining the
old and new formula if  possible. If not then feeding several small meals a day
versus two big ones  should help.

I also asked about Canidae changing where they manufacture their  food.  He
told me that because of the popularity of their product they  simply outgrew
their own manufacturing sight. They have contracted with Diamond  who as we all
know manufactures several kinds of dog food.  He said how it  works is that
Canidae has their own ingredients delivered to the Diamond plant  in South
Carolina where they produce the food for them.  The equipment used  to make the
Canidae food is only used for Canidae food.  There is no way  other ingredients
can be mixed in accidentally.  They still only use U.S.  human grade foods.
Their product is tested every 30 minutes at the Diamond plant  for quality. This
also allows them to expand their line and in the very near  future they are
going to have grain free dog and cat food available.  They  still are the only
dog food company that has put in writing that their food is  guaranteed to be
U.S. and human grade.  They will reimburse  you if you are dissatisfied with
their product at all.He encouraged me to tell  everyone concerned to please go
to their web site and you will get all the  information there. If you still
have questions you can call the company and  someone will be happy to help you.

FYI...I am a big believer in mixing it up when it comes to dog food.
Fortunately my dogs don't seem to be bothered by changing the food so every  couple
of bags I switch to another high quality food.  Right now they  are enjoying
Innova.  Regarding the Costco food...IMO even though  the ingredients may be
right I have a hard time believing they are quality  ingredients. Chicken meal
and other meats can come in several  different grades.  Unless it says human
quality chances are it is a low  quality meat. i.e. meat from sick animals or
euthanized animals. It could  be processed and imported from other countries as
well. The numbers  just don't add up in my head.  How cheap must this meat be
for them to sell  the food at the price they do? Just my thoughts.
 Renee, Annabella the amazing and Edna Jean (ATB)
I am for  animal rights and I am not PETA