[Dailydrool] Flat basset

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 07:40:14 PDT 2008

Going flat basset is an effective way to manipulate your human into
doing what you want while at the same time charming and amusing
passersby, who misinterpret the behavior as cute instead of annoying.

A basset quickly learns that going flat will get him the full and
undivided attention of his human. It may not necessarily be pleasant
attention, but it's still attention. Even better, it's attention that
tends to draw the attention of passersby, who then stop to express
concern over the flat basset and offer comforting and encouraging
pats. Their attention is quite positive and reinforces the behavior.

I'm fortunate in that our Elsinore and young Charlie don't feel the
need to resort to using the flat basset technique to make me do what
they want, but their basset friend the late Macy did. When she went
flat, the only thing to do was to sit down and wait her out. Macy
could be a real mule.

Elizabeth