[Dailydrool] Dogs in neighbor's yards

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Thu Jul 17 07:58:12 PDT 2008

Yesterday I had lunch with a friend who lives in a suburb in which
few people have fenced-in backyards. One of her neighbors has two
boxers whose family several weeks ago started leaving them tied out
all the time. The boxers did a lot of barking and at one point got
loose and ran all over the neighborhood. Even though boxers are
usually sweet-tempered dogs, they look scary and mean. When they
showed up at another neighbor's back door and barked at her, she was
afraid to leave the house.

My friend and the neighbor who was trapped in her house by these dogs
wrote letters to the homeowner's association to report the dogs and
their family. The homeowner's association duly sent a warning letter
to the boxers' house. Several days later, the boxer's owner was on my
friend's doorstep with the letter in her hand. Uh-oh.

But this woman did everything right. She said she'd gotten a letter
and she didn't know who had complained, but she was going to all her
near neighbors to apologize for her boxers' behavior. She'd been
traveling out of town for work during those two weeks in question and
had entrusted the care of the dogs to her three teenagers and
husband, who had provided "care" by leaving the dogs tied up outside
all day and not playing with or exercising them. She was going to
have to go out of town again, but she was going to take one of the
boxers with her and leave the other one with a friend in another
neighborhood.

I was so impressed by the way this woman handled it. She could have
gone ballistic on my friend's doorstep, but instead she apologized,
explained the situation, and gave assurances that she was working on
solutions to the problem.

It struck me that several Drool posts in the past have suggested
talking to a neighbor with a problem dog because the neighbor may be
completely unaware of there's a problem. In this case, the woman had
been out of town and had no clue that her husband and children
weren't taking care of the dogs. Of course, with some neighbors you
just know that it's better not to communicate with them directly and
to work with law enforcement officials instead. But with others,
well, this experience proves that it may be good to try to work
things out with the neighbor directly first.

Elizabeth