[Dailydrool] help with issue basset

Helena Poist helena at proplanner.com
Thu Jul 17 11:43:04 PDT 2008

WIth any resolutions you can think of to help this basset stay in their new home. Her email is
Wenders706 at aol.com

The situation is this:

I need your expert dog advice.  I got a dog about a month ago, she's a basset hound and her name is Maggie Moose (Moose because she destroyed one of my potted tomato plants the first day she was here).  Anyway I have two problems with her; first she just will not stop barking at Chuck.  She runs and charges at him and just starts barking and will not let up.  I've tried spraying her in the face with water, and that slows her down a little but doesn't stop her.  I've also tried shaking a can of pennies in her face, which scares her for about a second, and then she goes right back to the barking.  Once she actually chased (de-clawed) Chuck into a tree.  Now Chuck is starting to fight back, and has actually cleaned Maggie's clock a couple of time, it's so funny because, then whines and shakes because she's scared of him.

The other problem I'm having is potty training, she is 15 months old, and I don't think anyone ever did anything to train her not to pee in the house.  Last Saturday, I had the back door open all morning because it was so nice out, and she was in an out of the house playing and running around.  But she would come in to do her business.  During the week I keep her crated all day while I'm at work, more to give Chuck a break from the chaos, and she fine then.  When I get home I take her right out and she's great about going outside then.  But when I'm home with her, she just goes where ever she wants, even though I make it a point to take her out at least every 45 minutes to an hour.   And I can't just put her out, she also won't stay out by herself, I have to be out with her or she sits at the door and barks, or pulls tomatoes off the plants and destroys them.

I know some of this is just being a puppy, but she's about to drive me bonkers.  I've about had it with her, and am ready to find her a new home.