[Dailydrool] Snapping dog Murphy

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Fri Jul 18 10:44:24 PDT 2008

Get Murphy to a vet for a full spinal xray.  Once you determine that it
isn't a physical problem causing him to react, then you can work on
discipline.  You never know, one drooler had a dog with a BB lodged near
her spine.  They didn't have  a clue it was there, and it caused a ton
of problems.  Also, a dog with heartworm could have permanent heart
damage, which can causes less oxygen to the brain.  This can also make
mood swings and poor judgment, my mother had a schnauzer with a bad
valve, and he got mean sometimes.  With Murphy, this sounds like a
pain/fear issue, before a dominance issue. Also, have him checked for
Lyme disease.  It can trigger aggression for no reason, and sometimes
comes back and needs re- treatment more than once.

If he is physically fine, maybe he has problems having you lean over
him.  I have one dog who will snap at anyone other than my husband or I
if they lean over him.  It is a fear/dominance thing with him.  If it is
a training issue, Call BARK Busters, they handle all sorts of very
aggressive dog issues, and they guarantee their work for the life of the
dog.  Very Cesar Milan philosophy, no hitting or yelling.

 Good luck!

Gaylene Opal-Deitering

My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a
reflection of it!