[Dailydrool] Dog food choices

Suzabells at aol.com Suzabells at aol.com
Fri Jul 18 15:13:41 PDT 2008

Having never had a Basset before I unwittingly bought Purina Puppy Chow,
mixed it with Beneful (dont buy it !)and then got the information from DD that I
was way off base. I am still using Purina Puppy Chow for Daisy ( 5 months
old) but have bought a bag of Maximum w/ DHAGOLD to mix with it. it lists
chicken, rice and lamb as the first three ingredients but still has other things  I
am reading may not be desirable like the corn and wheat. it says there  are
no animal by products, artificial colors ,flavors or preservatives. we  don't
have a Costco here but we do have a Sam's, they may carry this  product .  I
didn't find Maximum listed on the list of dog food  manufacturers one of you
kindly posted on DD. it is distributed by Walmart ( not  a comforting thought,
sorry) but she loves it.

finding her breath changed  for the worse,.I also never bought  another box
of Scooby Doo cookies,  she wont eat Milk Bones but has Bacon  bits and a
couple of other treats she likes.  her coat is very shiny, she  is healthy and
doing alright so I don't know if I will pay for the Purina Puppy  Chow later on or
not. I cant move her to Purina One yet, she is too little. she  got an
inflamed jaw last month and I believe it was from playing tug of war with  her toys.
we don't do that anymore. she is incredibly strong and I had no idea  she was
hurting herself doing that.

for the new Basset owner, Mandy, I have learned much from this site, you
should read it every day if you can. I found a routine we both could adapt  to..
a morning walk, time in the house for her naps out of the heat, she only  goes
in her kennel at night to sleep in the kitchen, the rest of the day she is
either in here with me or out in the yard where there are shade trees, a lawn,
her own dog house in case it rains and I am not home, a small plastic pool to
 cool off in and plenty of toys and "chewies". routine is what has saved both
 hers and my sanity. she depends on me to hold to it and there will be days
you  will be totally exasperated with nonsense and things that wear you down
but  don't give up!

I lavish love and petting, lots of kisses and hugging on Daisy and she
responds to it like any other living being. there cant be too much love but  there
can be too much discipline. I pick my battles carefully.. biting was first  on
the list. my hands were shredded from baby teeth but she has long since
gotten her new teeth and wont bite anymore . jumping up on people is the next
battle line but I may lose that because she is so low to the ground it is
understandable she wants to "reach up" to folks. still, we try. they will chew
anything you leave on the floor and it is your fault, not theirs. I wish you
luck, persistence, love for your puppy and above all, know that one day soon she
will be the most wonderful companion you ever dreamed you would have. I
promise.. we all promise.  Sue Pulsifer

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.