[Dailydrool] Those Wonderful Anal Glands

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 19:29:24 PDT 2008

I not only do my own dogs, I do everyone else's. I work in the grooming dept
and one of the included services is doing anals. (Also nails and ears).
Wear gloves (latex)(or whatever-- not your good winter gloves.) Hold a
kleenex or paper towel in the hand that is going to do the squeezing. I am
right -handed but I use my left hand for this. Hold the tail firmly upright
with one hand, put forefinger at 7 o'clock on the anus, thumb at 4 o'clock
and squeeze inward. The glands are down low, so don't squeeze the rectum
itself. You want to be slightly lower. You should get a glob of really rank
goop out. It can be anything from toothpaste consistency and almost black,
to very liquid and almost clear. There may be a lot or a little or none at
all.
Also you should be aware that it can spritz in weird directions, like, alas,
in your face if you happen to be looking down there. That's why you want to
hold a kleenex or paper towel.
Do NOT do anals unless your dog is showing some signs of being in
distress--- scooting is much more likely to be from full anal glands than
worms. Some dogs hold their tails down and complain if you touch the tail.
If you are in doubt, check with the Vet.
Most dogs empty the anal sacs themselves, but some have a problem. I would
put Bassets high on the list of dogs with anal sac problems, along with
Beagles. In eight years I have had to do my Belgian one time. I have done
all the Bassets three or four times a year each.

   - Be advised that some dogs really genuinely resent having their anals
   done and will take your face right off. If you think you might have one of
   these, use a muzzle and have someone else restrain the dog. If you do not
   know how to properly restrain an animal, have your Vet or a vet tech show
   you. There is an easy trick to it but you need to know what it is, so you
   can show your spouse, boy friend, next-door-neighbor or unlucky apprentice.
   DONT TAKE CHANCES.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell, Zelda and Cooper