[Dailydrool] having 2

Cheryl Stafford cherylstafford at cox.net
Mon Jul 21 11:21:36 PDT 2008

Lainee
I am a female with three dogs.  I am not single but I am the "primary
care giver" for these dogs.  My husband loves them dearly but he works
harder and longer than I do and I have made their well being my focus.
They listen beautifully to him and do whatever he asks without question
(no flat basseting!).  When it comes to me they know I am an easy mark!
As far as management, you have to consider feeding, all my dogs have
their own area to eat in and remain separated for 30 minutes.  Toys
aren't really an issue between them.  I sit in the middle of the couch
so Otter and Radar can sit on either side.  When my husband is home we
are on opposite ends and have two dogs in the middle.  Radar is a year
old and Otter is 3.  Radar doesn't like to be separated from his big
brother.  This might be an issue you run into.  This is my fault because
I have taken the everywhere together.  To help this I have started
walking everyone separate.  It means three walks instead of two but I
just look it as more exercise for me.  When it comes to vet visits, it
doesn't matter because their check-ups are at different points.  I don't
know if these dogs have been together or will be new to each other but
there is nothing like having two bassets or multiple dogs for that
matter.  Kita has been with us for 11 of her 12 years and she doesn't
care for other dogs outside of her pack.  To see Radar come up and kiss
her chin and she just stands there and accepts his kisses is wonderful.
She never has known how to play and she has watched Radar and Otter and
after all of these years has decided it looks like she might want to
join in and have some fun is great.  If we didn't have the boys she
never would have known this joy.  Multiple dogs rule :-) !
Sorry so long, just my opinion,
Cheryl
Otter, Radar and Kita