[Dailydrool] Letting Them Go

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Mon Jul 21 17:42:28 PDT 2008

The most difficult times in my life have been when my dogs are close to the Rainbow Bridge. Every day
you hope that it will be a "good" day. You make excuses for the bad times--not that bad, maybe tomorrow
will be better. And you have a gigantic responsibility to do what is best for your dearly, dearly loved friend.
I had one vet tell me we waited too long. We were being selfish to keep Boone alive. We were doing it for us--not what was best for him. Later, with another dog,  I had a different vet tell me maybe it wasn't in our hands--that we should wait for God to decide. In any case, it is a heartbreaking situation to know the end is coming.. Our 3 legged boxer with cardiomyothopy could not breathe if she lay down. It was still difficult  to let her go. Our basset Chloe we carried out to the front porch every day during the last month of her life to watch the world go by. I don't know how we decide it is time. No one wants to--no one has a formula. My heart aches for Zelda and Wyatt's family. It is so sad to lose a canine family member, but who can
know when it is time?  God bless everyone who has this to deal with-- You can only make the decision
with your breaking heart and hope it is the right one.
--
Marilyn Briggs