[Dailydrool] E-Coli from Hound to Human

Vanis, Nancy Nancy.Vanis at McKesson.com
Wed Jul 23 07:16:06 PDT 2008

Shannon,
I am a microbiologist.  E. coli lives just about anywhere humans do.  It
is a normal inhabitant of the intestine of humans. It also has a nasty
habit of hitching a ride into the house on anything that might be come
in (groceries, children, visitors).  In most cases, our immune system
will prevent any problems.  Cleaning will remove most existing bacteria
but does not prevent re-colonization.  I know there are 3 very common
organisms isolated from dog bites, but E. coli is not one of them.  Is
it a normal organism present in the dog gut? I don't know, but I
wouldn't be surprised to find out it is.  However, you can have a
culture done on his mouth if you feel he is a possible source due to the
eating of stools.  If he is a possible source, I don't know if there is
much you can do about it, except try the stuff the vet gives you & wear
some type of surgical glove most of the time to prevent your hands from
coming into contact with his fur, saliva or anything he comes into
contact with (water bowl, food dish, bedding).