[Dailydrool] Jane's anniversary

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Fri Jul 25 18:21:54 PDT 2008

It was five years ago today, and at about this time, that we sent our
Jane Basset on ahead of us. She was old, tired, sick, and ready to
go. I had brought home a pair of baby pet rats five days earlier and
I think their arrival let Jane feel as if she no longer needed to
stay. She knew I would be all right because I would have the little
rats to look after.

I'd had rats throughout Jane's time with us and she had always
enjoyed them (and especially their food). But this time she showed no
interest when I introduced her to them. That should have been my tip
off. But we didn't want to see it.

We didn't want to see her quickly winding down after the rats
arrived. It's hard to watch a dear friend begin to leave. However, on
the day we helped her go, it was obvious, even to those who didn't
want to see it, that she was ready and would appreciate the help. We
bade her godspeed, and the sun outside finished setting as our Jane's
own sun set.

We know that her sun immediately rose again and shines brightly where
she is now. After awhile, the clouds went away in our hearts and the
sun rose again for us as well. Our neighbor's basset Macy, a true
little thundercloud, helped bring some sunbeams back into my life
during the dark days right after Jane's death. My true friend in
need. And now we enjoy our Elsinore, Jane's worthy successor, and
young Charlie.

It feels as if our Jane's been gone for much longer than five years,
though not a day goes by when I don't think of her and miss her. I
like to imagine her chasing slow-moving deer in the celestial woods
while she waits for us to join her. And in my mind, she's at her very
best again, happy, healthy, and able-bodied. I couldn't wish for
anything better for my friend who suffered so many health problems
and disability while she was here with us.

Elizabeth