[Dailydrool] itchy flew disease

Alison Becker ambecker10 at msn.com
Sat Jul 26 10:44:35 PDT 2008

Well, Lizzie and I went to the vet today.  According to the vet, Lizzie has an allergy.  So, she got a shot of cortisone and some medicine and I promptly had $100 taken from me.  I almost said "Are you sure?  MomPerson said it is probably an infection or a yeast infection."   So, I guess we'll see.  I noticed today that she was licking her paws a lot and itching her tummy, too (doing the army crawl across the carpet to itch herself).  Do you think the cortisone will mask an infection if there is one?Alison

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 20:47:03 -0500From: bgszap at gmail.comTo: dailydrool at dailydrool.orgSubject: [Dailydrool] itchy flew disease

No there is nothing horrible wrong with her other than she is a Basset, it is summer, it is humid, and the flaps never completely dry. Then they get infected and/or the dog gets a raging yeast infection, and it itches intolerably.
Drying their mouths GENTLY several times a day, esp. after drinks and cleaning their faces after meals helps. I found that using Pyoben Gel on the flews helped a great deal. It is a slightly astringent anti something or other, that you get from the Vet, but it works. What also works is the Acne meds like Oxy-10 --the little pads. Ok maybe I better put a conditional statement in here: It has worked for Mitchell every summer. He's my rug-rubber, my pant-leg-wiper, my drooly, itchy, face-rubbing, frantic-scratching boy. Every summer.

Sometimes they need an anti=biotic, too.

Momperson to Mr.ItchyFace Mitchell (and the rest.--Llewis is scrubbing his face, too.)