[Dailydrool] itchy flew disease

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 14:16:48 PDT 2008

Cortisone will stop the itching cycle, giving things time to start healing.
It does not have any anti=biotic properties and in fact, it delays healing
and somewhat lowers the immune system. (Don't panic. Not usually enough to
make a substantial difference.) It is primarily an anti-inflammatory, so
fromthat stand point is a good selection. The trouble with Pred is that
everything tends to come right back once it is stopped. It can also be tough
on the liver, so use it cautiously. Don't let your Vet just keep giving it
to control the itching. We did this one time, then gave the dog a flea bath
and dip (back when we used dip) and a couple of weeks later his liver blew
apart and he had to have emergency surgery to do a liver biop. It came back
consistent with steroid over-use.  Now he well may have had an iffy liver to
start with, but it can cause problems, especially if the dog is on anything
else that compromises the liver, like Rimadyl (you should NEVER EVER use the
two meds together unless your dog is at death's door and pred is the only
thing that will save it.)

Mitchell is allergic to grass. The shorter we keep it the better off he is.
He rubs his face and licks his feet. Also do not use "Carpet Fresh" as
probably 99% of the dogs I know are seriously allergic to it.
Give this series of Pred time to work and see what happens. If he goes back
to itching, then you know you have to do something else.

I have always wondered if, as the summer wears on and the grass dries up a
bit, if the prickly, dried grass didn't irritate the skin on some sensitive
bellies and feet. It would bother MINE......LOL.

Bev