[Dailydrool] Automatic Car Doors and Dogs

Diane Surman diane512 at ptd.net
Sun Jul 27 09:56:40 PDT 2008

Although I've had many cars over the years for my multi dog family, the car
that was the most convenient for transporting dogs was the mini van. I had 3
Dodge Caravans over the years and then 2 years ago got a Chrysler Town and
Country van after having numerous Jeeps in between.

I have to caution anyone that buys any kind of vehicle with doors that open
automatically.  The Town and Country was the only van I ever had with
automatic doors and I found them to be extremely dangerous.  I would NEVER
purchase a vehicle with automatic doors again.  My younger Basset almost got
her head caught in the automatic door as it was sliding open. She was in a
hurry to jump out at the vet and it was only by the grace of God, that she
didn't end up tangled up in that door.  It certainly would have killed her.

Then I had the door open by itself on me.  I was on a busy street at rush
hour and out of the blue, the thing slid open.  At the time, my Collie was
in the back and I screamed Murray Stay as I jumped out of the front of the
van to get to him before he jumped on the road.  It then opened again on me
while I was shopping and alone.  I took it to be repaired and they couldn't
figure out why it was opening on its own, so I got rid of it.  I am now back
to driving a Jeep.  This time around, I had my husband make me 2 steps out
of Styrofoam and the dogs can all easily get in and out of it.

I just want to caution anyone with automatic doors, that they can be
dangerous.

Diane