[Dailydrool] automatic doors on Vans

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 13:25:04 PDT 2008

I have had the doors open on my Van but only because I accidentally hit the
wrong button on the fob. Mine do not open while the Van is moving: it has to
be in Park. (It is a Town & Country.) The only damage I have ever had was my
first Belgian who attempted to fly into the back of my previous hatchback
before the hatch was open more than about 8 inches and cracked himself on
the headbone. It split open his forehead and of course we were on the way to
a dogshow. It scared me more than it hurt him.
All dogs wait on leashes while I open the hatch or doors. Belgians are
trained to SITANDWAIT at least a foot from the door. Bassets I just hang
onto, or open the hatch or doors before we get there. Dogs travel in crates
so I don't need to worry about doors accidentally catching a head as the
door or hatch closes. Crates are bungeed into place and bungeed to each
other with the hooks pointing out.
Plus my doors and hatch are set up so if they encounter anything on the way
down they reverse. While it might clunk a dog on the head, it would
immediately reverse. I have been clunked on the head, but never my dogs.

I do not doubt that things can and do go wrong with the automatic doors. I,
luckily, have not had this happen.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Mitchell, Zelda and Cooper