[Dailydrool] My New Foster, Eeyore

ABC's Slobber Shoppe merchandise at nybasset.org
Sun Jul 27 19:58:43 PDT 2008

I picked up a basset today by the name of Eeyore. I'd like to tell her
story....

A supporter of ours notified ABC around Christmas time of a 5 yr old
basset for sale in the Rochester paper. She wanted ABC to purchase the
dog to get it out of its current home since she was a breeding dog.
We explained to her that we do not purchase dogs. Our supporter
contacted the family and got the dog's name and pictures. It turns
out, Eeyore is my Diesel's mother. I contacted the family and asked if
I could have her. They said "No, she's $300, I just can't give away my
dog."

In spring of this year, Eeyore was again for sale for $300. I called
again. Again, they told me no, she was still $300. I told them to keep
my number if they changed their minds.

Friday morning, he changed his mind. I could have her. Turns out, she
bit their sheltie puppy (the next breeding dog) and nipped at a
neighbor. Either I take her or she'd be put down.

Today, Laurie Rounsville and I went to pick her up. Let me re-phrase
that, We took her out of her horrible life.

Eeyore was in her own pen in the fields behind the house. I can't even
describe it to you, so I took a video and some pictures. I think they
say it all.
Video:

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u135/lovebassetcrap/?action=view&current=DSCF5835.flv

She is filthy like a pig, super long nails, and starved for attention.
He said that he hasn't let her out of her pen in 3 days.

I brought her back to my house. On the way we stopped for McNuggets.
When we got home, she got a bath in the backyard with a hose. And, I
must say, I think she actually liked it. Now, she smells beautiful.
She is taking a nap here at my feet with her son, Diesel not too far
away.

I didn't get any vet records with her, but I did get some scrap paper
noting that she has had 2 litters, a total of 21 puppies. They tried
breeding her every heat cycle. She had a litter in January and tried
breeding her again in May.

Today, she starts her new life. She will never sleep outside in the
grass again. It will dog beds, couches, good food, lots of love and
attention from here on in. And, no more puppies. She gets spayed next
Tuesday.

She is a sweetheart who is like my shadow. She knows I was there to
take her away and give her a better life. I've been trying for 8
months and I am finally going to give it to her.

Shelly Gordon
ABC Basset Hound Rescue
www.nybasset.org
merchandise at nybasset.org