[Dailydrool] The "Red Zone"

Sylvie McGee sylviemcgee at comcast.net
Mon Jul 28 10:41:36 PDT 2008

Hi, Esther,

I was just down in Florida visiting my mom. I took a rescue Basset to her
last year, after she lost her previous rescue to the effects of
long-untreated tick disease.

Sally is storm phobic as well, although I would say that it's a somewhat
strong case, not a 'severe' case (she doesn't destroy anything, and doesn't
void her bladder or bowels). She shakes, has to climb up in my mom's lap (my
mom is 87), and refuses to go outside when it is storming to do her
business, even in the protected patio area...she also pants a lot.

We visited my mom's vet, and he put Sally on Clomicalm, a one-month trial to
see if it has an effect. He also gave her valium to supplement that, to be
given before the storm hits, but when one is predicted. Of course, that
pretty much means daily in central Florida on the coast.

So we're seeing how this works.

You might want to talk about Clomicalm with your vet for your parent's
dog...

Hope this is helpful.

Sylvie McGee
HeavenScent Bassets
Olympia, WA

This message is copyright, and may not be forwarded or cross-posted without
my explicit permission.