[Dailydrool] Preparing a basset for a new baby

Lindsay Cravens lcravens at mojohouse.com
Tue Jul 29 14:55:28 PDT 2008

Hello Droolers!

I've been on the drool for over a year now and this is the first time
that I have posted (I hope this works).  My husband and I have a
basset named Barney.  We adopted him last January and according to
their estimates, he should be around 4 1/2.  He's been a great
addition to our household.  He's loveable, goofy and pretty gentle.
We take him on walks twice a day for 30-45 minutes and he loves doing
the basset 500 around our house.

Well, the point of this post is to ask for advice - we are expecting
our first baby in Sept. and were trying to figure out ways to prepare
Barney for the new two-legger.  I don't think he'll be aggressive
towards it, but I worry because he is very used to being the center
of our little world.  We know that we won't have as much time or
energy for him as we do now (especially when it comes to the routine
walks in the morning and evening), so I'm worried that he will become
jealous and start acting out.  Or that the baby's crying will somehow
affect him in a negative way.  Since he is adopted, we have no idea
what type of living situation he was in before and whether or not he
had little ones around his previous house.

There are two specific things that worry me about the new situation.
One, whenever we get visitors, he gets really excited and barks his
noggin off.  Both when they arrive and when they leave.  I don't
think that he's being territorial (especially because he barks when
he thinks our company is leaving).  I just think he gets excited.  He
doesn't bark at all however, whenever my husband and I leave or
arrive.  Soon, there will be a lot more people over at our house, so
how can we curb as much of the barking as we possibly can?

The second thing that worries me is that he also sometimes tugs/chews
on socks and other fabrics if they are left out.  How do we keep him
from doing this to our baby's booties or mittens (and possibly the
little foot or hand inside of it)?  When he does this now, we correct
him and take it away, but I'm hoping to prevent him from even getting
to that point with our little baby.

I know that we aren't going to be able to "train" all of these traits
out of him - we've had him long enough to know about Basset
stubborness.  We're just hoping for a few tips that we can try out
before the baby comes to better prepare him for sharing a house and
parents with someone new.  We already plan on bringing something home
of the baby's from the hospital to get him used to its' scent and we
don't ever plan on letting them be alone in the same room together.
Any other ideas or tips?

Thanks for your advice!

Lindsay, momma to Barney

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/488193

privileged material of Mojo, LLC. which is for the exclusive use of
the individual designated above as the recipient. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any
action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other then the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive this
in error, please immediately contact the sender by return e-mail and
delete the material from your computer. If you are not the specified
recipient, you are hereby notified that all disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or action taken on the basis of this message is
prohibited.'