[Dailydrool] bassets and babies

James & Sharon Novy jsnovy at cox.net
Wed Jul 30 21:46:19 PDT 2008

Lindsay,

I don't often post but couldn't resist your note.  I am a mom to Bogart the basset now almost 11 years old and two boys that are 7 and 2/1/2 years old.  Because I don't have enough to do at home, I am also a pediatrician by day! J

Bogart came first in our house and was a very spoiled baby.  He was three when we brought our first son home.  Remember dogs are pack animals and if you include him in with the baby and encourage cuddle time with you and the baby, Barney will adapt very well to his new pack member.  Bogart would often lay next to me when I was feeding my boys and lay with his head in their lap.  I made a habit of not leaving out any toys or baby things- which worked real well as the boys got older.  All I have to do is remind them anything left out could get chewed and they scamper to clean up (I think I have the best cleaners and toy put awayers on the block).  As the boys grow up, Bogart has bonded with them very well.  His favorite thing to do is run into their rooms in the morning for belly rubs when they wake up.

As for walks, take the stroller with you to practice on walks before the baby comes.  Bogart walked very nicely next to the stroller and everybody loved getting out of the house (including me!).

As my boys got older, I would have them give cookies to Bogart from their hand.  I encouraged group play together.  I expect both parties to be kind to the other and firmly redirect when that doesn't happen.  I have never had a problem with the boys being too aggressive with the dog.  Bogart was only annoyed by baby crying when it would wake him up.  He would lift his head and look at me with droopy eyes as if to say "Mom, can you go feed that thing so he'll be quiet!"

Bogart loves to bark when I come home or visiters come.  So, when the kids are asleep, I have the guests call ahead and my husband and I tag team.  He opens the door and lets them in and I feed Bogart cookies while they walk in.  Then I encourage them to pet him right away and we keep the barking minimal.  This also works if my husband and I come home after a date and the kids are asleep with a baby sitter.  I bring dog cookies in my purse for when I first walk in.  Bogart would rather eat a cookie any day over barking!  Having said that though, there have been lots of times that he barks at a delivery and the kids often sleep right thru it because they are used to it.

Overall, I love having children and dogs together.  They are best friends and since their positive interactions have been encouraged from day 1, they really enjoy one another.  In fact, our basset used to regularly lick the boys as babies- especially once they started eating baby foods!!

Sharon Novy

PS- Barney is adorable on his dogster page!!!