[Dailydrool] mysterious lump

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 04:18:18 PDT 2008

I wonder-- and this is a real shot in the dark--- if he is having a reaction
to the suture material used 4 yrs ago. I have not a clue why this would
happen now, but ...? (As you undoubtedly know there are at least two areas
stitched in surgery. One is below the surface where the lump was and holds
together the muscle and tissue there, and the other, which is removed later,
is what you see holding the skin together. I am thinking that the first
layer has somehow become infected, or that the dog's system is having a
reaction to it.)

At any rate I am sure your Vet will figure it out. I come up with these
weird ideas because my dogs never have anything normal. Doc always tells the
Vetlettes "WHen you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not Zebras" but it
seems as if when it comes to the Szaton dogs, it is always a Zebra. LOL.
(A puppy we had ran across the deck, screamed, and refused to put his foot
down. I rushed him in and said i thought he had caught the dewclaw between
two boards and had broken the dewclaw bone. Doc laughed and said in all his
years of practice he had never, ever seen a broken dewclaw. We x-rayed the
foot.
Broken dewclaw bone. Poor Doc.)
There are many other considerably more grim examples, but when I take my
dogs in the exams are now unbelievably thorough, because MY dogs seem
determined to break new medical ground. LOL.

MomPerson to the Zebras