[Dailydrool] vacuum & babies

kaq1230 at comcast.net kaq1230 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 31 13:09:26 PDT 2008

One word...ROOMBA!  They don't work as well as my Dyson, but I don't actually have to do anything more than turn it on and walk away.  I run the roomba once a day every day and it does a good job the only problem is the corners.  The boys could care less about the roomba, but they all run from the Dyson.  I only have the lowest model Roomba, the more expensive the more fun features they have, such as you can put it on a schedule and then you don't even have to turn it on!  They also make one that "mops" floors that I am dying to get!

Babies and bassets....I have 3 bassets and 1 baby, we have not had any problems, thankfully, between the pooches and the baby.  There has been some "pack" shifting which is to be expected, but that seems to have worked itself out with not much interference from me.  The dogs are however very much now my shadows (I think that is just from me being there all the time now, versus working).  My husband and I are vigilant about not leaving out any toys, blankets, bottles, pacifiers...etc, etc that the dogs can get (sounds bothersome, but you figure at some point you will need to put those things away anyhow, so why not put them away when you are done using it?)  The boys are very gentle with Jack.  There are rules, though...they are NEVER left alone even for one second to answer the phone with the baby, they are not allowed to climb onto the lap they can be next to us just not on us, jump up if the baby is with us, counter-surf the high chair, no basset 500 in the house (very hard habit
 to break) anymore...go play in your very lovely fenced in yard.  The most surprising thing about the baby and bassets that I found is during our walks, if I have Jack with me, I have the 3 most well behaved dogs you have ever seen in your life, if it is just me walking them all bets are off and there is flat bassetting all over and 3 different ways to smell and mark and on and on and on, it's gotten to the point that I have actually thought of bringing along the carriage without Jack on a walk, just so they will be better behaved.  Also, the boys "alert" me if Jack is crying by coming and getting me (giving paw), once I say I know I heard him, they walk off...none of that was trained it just happened, funnily enough they do it when they hear other babies too, even if Jack is not around.  Jack loves the dogs and lights up when he sees them and he finds nothing funnier than watching the basset 500 in the yard!

Karen