[Dailydrool] coyotes

kaq1230 at comcast.net kaq1230 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 19 07:54:24 PDT 2008

Hi,

I had several encounters with the coyotes in my area (Massachusetts) this past fall/winter.  I found that they pretty much ignored us, although I am walking 3 dogs so I guess that makes us a pack.  Mostly I could hear them howling and yipping to one another when we entered into their "territory".  when we did actually see them, interestingly the boys seemed like they were completely oblivious to them which is strange since they are super friendly and want to greet anything that they see unless it's those big scary birds (they are so silly frightened of the sparrows) and by anything it could be a cat, skunk, racoon, squirrel, other dogs, people whatever.  On the coyotes part, it would just watch us and once we went by, it went on its way, made me very uneasy but in hindsight there was no posturing that would indicate any aggression, or a threat, it just seemed like it was waiting for us to leave so it could get back to its business.  According to my local paper you can't relocate th
e coyotes, nor will the wildlife people euthanize them.  The problem around my area it seems is that people have taken to leaving food out for them which then desensitizes the coyotes to humans and lessens the fear which is why we now see them out even during the daylight hours.

Karen