[Dailydrool] suggestions needed

Beverly Szaton bgszap at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 05:43:44 PDT 2008

Ok here's the scene.
I have 5 dogs. One of them knows the command "sit and stay". He is not a
Basset.
Sometimes I would love to take one or two of the Bassets for a walk very
early in the morning, say between 5 and 7 a.m..
I can walk out the door with the big, non-basset without setting off the
others because I have been taking that dog to work with me, and apparently
the others understand that I will not be back and so screaming will not
work.
However, anytime I try to take one or two of the four Bassets out, the
others (including the non-Basset who is perhaps the worst) scream, bark,
yodel and howl at a really unacceptable level, especially for a Sat or Sun
morning when people COULD sleep if the neighbor dogs weren't screaming. And
they are persistent. And they are VERY VERY LOUD. Even with doors and
windows shut, they are loud.
Now I have, on occasion, come back in and made them shut up and they do but
the damage is already done. Two or three Bassets howling and one Belgian
barking hysterically are annoying, to say the least.
So. How do I end this? Trying to train one dog at a time to sit and be quiet
is nearly impossible while the others bellow in protest. And if one or two
know, the others get them going, anyway.
Can anyone tell me how to get out the door for walkies with two Bassets
without setting off the household civil defense sirens? (Sneaking does not
work.)

MomPerson, who is baffled.