[Dailydrool] Morse, vets and the end of humankind

Hilary Stevens hilaryjane at msn.com
Sun Jun 1 09:42:24 PDT 2008

Coming from someone with a 'wonky' Basset this may not be worth much but I reckon Morse's pace looks fine.

The stories about vet billsover the pond are scary.  Our vet charges £25 for a consultation - which seems reasonable - and it seems to work out £5/£10 every time he injects something - which invariably, he finds a reason to do.  I'm learning not to rush to vet at every little thing.

My bassets have turned me soft.  Had to stop watching a programme on TV this week about how long it would take nature remove all traces of mankind if we all suddenly disappeared.  They had clips of a dog locked indoors savaging for food and as soon as the narrator said, "the first animal casualities would be our pets" I burst into tears and thankfully Enci agreed to switch channels.  How awful.  Imagine.

Millie's pretty savvy but Alfie, I fear, wouldn't last long.  I don't think I could even bring myself to put him in kennels.  I don't think I knew guilt, not really, until I got a Basset but then I don't have two-leggers.  I've told Enci that if we don't have kids - and the jury and nature are still out on that one - then I want LOTS of bassets.

Hilary (snatching 5 minutes from essay writing), Alfie and Mille