[Dailydrool] Today's Calendar Page

Linda Gardner hockeyphans at verizon.net
Sun Jun 1 18:03:16 PDT 2008

Lucy is a rescue from ABC Basset Rescue.  We've had her since October
2005.  She had been bounced around and had been sent back to ABC after
a year and a half with her latest owner.  We started fostering her and
ended up failing after our Jake went to the Bridge the following
month.  She and Elwood got along, but he considered himself the Basset
King.  She didn't always agree with that theory, and Elwood's chair
was one of those areas.  The picture was taken during one of her
successful attempts at sitting in it.  Elwood was totally miffed as he
didn't like her to touch him.  After Elwood went to the Bridge last
October, she immediately took possession of the chair - after all, she
was now the Basset Queen.

Enter Bubba, the foster, six weeks later.  He is the biggest basset I
have ever seen.  He was 81 lbs. but not fat, just a bit overweight.
He's almost twice the size of Lucy.  (He came two weeks before
Christmas and we refer to him as the big Christmas surprise.)  Even
though he's huge, Lucy rules.  He has not once tried to get on the
Queen's throne (Elwood's chair) and will not play with her toys.  She
completely dominates him.  BTW, we also failed with him!  He was
diagnosed with diabetes insipidus and we couldn't let him go.  Having
him as her lackey just enhances her authority in the neighborhood.

The Basset Queen rules!

(Last year's calendar page depicted Lucy with the revolving trash can
lid stuck on her head.)

Linda - serving wench to Big Bubba and Queen Lucy