[Dailydrool] Walking Strategies

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Sun Jun 1 18:09:40 PDT 2008

We don't have this problem at home since we live kind of "out in the
country" and have no sidewalks, so walks are not frequent for safety
reasons.  But, I do have the problem if I want to take one dog out for
training in the driveway.  I have resorted to trickery and deceit.  The
following strategies have worked for me:

1.      Put the collars and leads in a spot out of the dogs' sight and place
be the door you will be exiting through.  Put the dogs who are not going to
be walked outside and then bring them in for "breakfast".  Put the dogs to
be walked outside.  Go out a different door and retrieve dogs to be walked.

2.      Put the dogs not to be walked in the van.  Let them think they are
going for  ride.  Take the other dogs for a walk while the dogs in the van
wait patiently for you to go get your keys - NOT!

I have actually used these methods and they do work.  However, the best way
really is to try to desensitize them to the excitement of someone going out
on a lead.  I have done this by taking them out - one at a time - on a lead
into the back yard for a minute or two, then bringing them back in and
getting the next one.  I always go in pack order.  It is a lot of work and
takes a lot of time to reprogram them, so I opt for trickery and deceit.

However, I do have the problem at dog shows.  Fortunately, at dog shows, the
noise is more tolerated.   However, it makes me nuts.  Usually what we do at
dog shows, is that two of us walk dogs and the other one stays at our set up
with the other dogs.  A squirt bottle is used liberally and a firm QUIET.
They quickly learn that the quiet(er) ones get walked first.

OR - Norm says to give everybody baseball or basketball toys to play with
while the others are walking!

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com