[Dailydrool] A sad basset story (not for the faint of heart)

Nancy Candray speedsterbasset at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 22:46:46 PDT 2008

As many of you know I volunteer for a non-basset rescue.  This rescue actually started for the dogs down in Mexico specifically TJ.  It actually supports humane euthanasia instead of electrocution.  This weekend I got brave and went for the first time down to TJ, to a ranch supported by a homeless man who takes pity on the dogs, but has no means of feeding them or supplying clean water.  We dropped off food and water and treated the cats and dogs for fleas and manage and anything else that we could in the four hours we were schedule to be there.

  Among the ones at the ranch was a purebred basset hound.  He was in bad shape.  His spine was broken and he was howling in pain.  Even now, 24 hours later my eyes just pour out.  There was nothing we could do for him. Our vet tech was with us, she took him to the clinic and humanely let him go.  The sweet little guy left for the rainbow bridge with a half wag of the tail.  He would no longer hurt, no longer suffer.  There were 3 others she also had to help to the rainbow bridge.  We took 21 dogs to quarintine to bring back later to the US. Thats 21 lives we saved.  We brought the dogs that were being kept in quarintine back with us. Many others were left behind and it broke our hearts as we drove away.  I don't know if I can go back again, but I'm glad I did go at least this once.

  Nancy momslabe to Speedy Speed Demon of the West OEBE and Ted (ATB)

  PS I have pictures if anyone wants to see them