[Dailydrool] Two hound house

Judi Knight j.knight at comcast.net
Mon Jun 2 05:34:10 PDT 2008

Donna,
Your post reminded me of when we upgraded from a one hound house.
Five years ago my Old English Sheepdog died and my Basset was very sad so my
boyfriend and  I got a second hound puppy to keep our first guy company. Not
a month later, someone found a third hound and brought him to me to find his
owner or a home.

My boyfriend said to me in horror when he saw the third one," Its me or the
dogs!" I told him that he really didn't want to go there.... what he was
really concerned about was not the number but rather the chaos that ensued.
When he was our only hound,  Clyde could do anything he wanted and was
totally bad ( pooped in the house at least once a week- doesn't do it at all
anymore) with two hounds it was not much better. Once Duane put his foot
down about living in a three hound house, instead of breaking up with me we
instituted RULES and actually we and the hounds seemed happier to have a
routine and know what the rules were.

We kept the rescue "longest hound" Craig Longfellow. He was just too cute
and lovey- many people would have taken him but I couldn't give him up. So
now Duane and I are happily married with three well-behaved houndies. I
wrote the following a couple of years ago, which I dug up and posted in
entirety on my blog last night.... Thought I would share it here.

DOGs on the Couch - Policy Update
Some of you have been seeking clarification on the Dogs on Couch Policy. It
appears that there is some confusion, and the following policy statement
might help. In general, dogs are not permitted on the couch, or on any other
furniture.

The longest Basset is permitted on the couch if J is on the couch, but he
must get down if D is home and awake. After J departs he may remain on the
blue couch for up to 10 minutes after which time the long Basset should exit
the couch of his own accord.

The black and white, furry Basset is only permitted to be on the black
leather chair, the ottoman or the floor. It is preferred that he stay on the
ottoman in plain sight so that he does not sneak into J's office to poop the
rug.
(if you want you can read the rest of this and see pics at
http:www.blogbyknight.com)

Judi,
Mom to Clyde, Clifford and Craig Longfellow